Happy Easter, Happy Spring
I found this recipe in our staging cookbook that we used for house showing decor. It’s the Better Homes and Gardens annual recipes 2003 cookbook. We picked it purely for the colors and photos, but hey, I’ve already made two recipes from it! I put a different spin on it to serve up for Sunday. Easter has always been my favorite holiday, and I’m so excited! If you’re looking for a good spring recipe, I would highly recommend this one. (Unless we’re going to the same family function.) It’s fairly easy, and there’s even a surprise filling inside. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup
cooking oilcoconut oil
- 2/3 cup purchased lemon curd
- 2 tbsp. toasted coconut
- Lemon (optional)
I substituted cooking oil for coconut oil. Feel free to sub for applesauce too. I also added lemon extract and vanilla sweetener. To finish, I topped them with freshly grated lemon zest. Exchange any ingredients you want. I’m just sayin’ what worked for me. Also, I doubled the recipe for two batches.
- Preheat oven to 400. Grease muffin tins, bread pans, or whatever you choose to use
- Stir together flours, sugar, baking powder and salt
- In a separate bowl, beat egg(s) and stir in milk and oil
- Mix wet and dry ingredients, careful to not overmix
- Fill your cupcake/muffin tins 1/4 to 1/3 full with mixture
- Spoon about 2 tsp of lemon curd into each tin. Then cover them with the rest of the batter, filling the tins about 2/3 full
- Pop those bad boys in the over for 18-20 mins.
- Cool for 5 minutes, then glaze with more lemon curd
- Top with coconut and lemon zest
Here’s how they looked coming out of the oven. Now, if you’re wondering why I baked them on a baking sheet and not in a muffin tin like a normal person, it’s because I packed away most of the kitchen supplies for the big move. But on the bright side, I may have just invented a new category of pastries: The Muffin Bar™. Feel free to use that one if ever you find yourself without a muffin tin too. You can thank me once it’s a thing.
After cooling, glaze them with extra lemon curd.
I used unsweetened coconut to sprinkle over the top. Something about coconut and lemon just say Easter brunch to me.
If you have a lemon, grate the rind over the top for a little extra zest.
They look a little more springlike now 🙂
Hope you have a blessed Easter!
xoxox Leah and Joe