Lamp Shade Upgrade
This project was incredibly simple and affordable. I’ve been seeing burlap-covered lamp shades everywhere, and noticed my trusty bedside reading lamp was looking a little dingy. The shade was getting dirty and it was just too plain. So, why not use what I had and make it a little more homey?
Here’s what we had to work with before.
I found this roll of burlap in the Target dollar spot for just $3.
I fired up my hot glue gun and started by gluing one end straight down the lamp shade seam.
I turned my lamp on while working 🙂 Then I worked the burlap around the lamp shade.
Gluing around the top and bottom, section by section.
I thought it was looking pretty good at this point.
Both with the light on and off.
There was a little bit of puckering at the top…
It seemed to be missing something. I had some lighter colored burlap I tried to use for a stripe, but that didn’t seem to do it.
Then I found this roll of burlap and lace for less than $1. It was the perfect accent!
I tried to line it up with the seams and glued a rim around the bottom to start with.
I liked what I saw, so I added a rim to the top too. Overhanging the edge just slightly. It hides the puckering as well.
So here’s what it looks like now.
Needless to say, I really like it!
Time to get reading.
Joe just has to get me an LED bulb. He took away my incandescent light bulb and threw it in the trash, forbidding me to use something so energy inefficient.
It’s not 100% perfect, but I like it that way. It feels a lot cozier than the sterile look before.
I’m just going to curl up in bed – see you in a few months!